Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Letters



One of the coolest things that is happening in this house has nothing to do with moving. One day, Sophia decided she wanted to start writing her letters.

The amazing part - well, maybe not so amazing when you know her - is that I have been encouraging an interest in writing letters and numbers for months with nothing but a goofy face in response. One morning, she plops down at the table and asks, "How do I write my name?"

It's great fun helping her learn. I haven't had a chance to be a part of a big learning step like this of hers in a while. This is kind of the next big thing, and I'm so excited to share it with her. At the same time, the experience has reinforced my theory that I would be an awful teacher. I just don't know what I'm doing. I get frustrated that I can't show her in a way she understands, and she gets frustrated that she doesn't understand me. This goes on for a while, and then she just writes down the letter we're working on.

Anyway, it's been a lot of fun and a bit of stress. I'm very proud of her initiative in the process. I just hope I can match her enthusiasm.

After a bit of working hard on letters, one of her favorite ways to unwind is to make a mess with paint. That's what she's getting ready to do here. Not all children have to take a bath after they paint, but this one does.

No comments:

Post a Comment