Thursday, September 27, 2012

Happy Birthday, Baby!





Dear Sophia,

I will try to remember not to call you baby in public because you've reminded me many times already that you are no longer a baby. Ever so true, darling, but as the saying goes, you'll always be my baby.

I have enjoyed watching you transform, this year especially, from a little kid into a kid who has plans and dreams of her own. As every year does, the year of being five has come with some growing pains. As we get used to you doing things for yourself, and you adjust to the expectations that brings, we have had to work to find our groove together. At times it's been a difficult adjustment, but it has been completely worth it. I can't wait to see what you get up to next.

Although many things have changed, your personality is still just the same. Loyal, glamorous, brave, affectionate, kind, thoughtful. Hilarious, of course. You do come by that naturally. We have had some incredible laughs together this year. My favorite part of humor that you've really taken off with is your word play. It's been fun to watch you use words to make your own original puns.

I am so grateful for the countless moments bursting with joy that we have had together this year. I cannot believe how lucky we are to get to come alongside you as you become more fully yourself. And I'm grateful to you, Sophia, for still allowing us to share in all the facets of your mind and personality. I can only hope that we can continue to earn your trust and that you will continue to give it as you get into your school years. I know that won't always be easy, but I will try to be a safe place for you to rest.

For now, I'll just wish you a very happy birthday, Sophia. I hope that you can feel today just a fraction of how much you are adored by all who know you. We can't help it. It's just that you bring out the love in us. Thanks for that today and always.

Your devoted

Mama

1 comment:

  1. What a beautifull relation you have...
    You must love your angel.

    http://healthytourism.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete