Thursday, September 27, 2018

An Even Dozen



Happy birthday, Sophia!

Today is a strange day for us because you're waking up at sixth grade camp instead of in your bed at home. I never realized that I took those birthday hugs for granted. Don't worry. I will make up for it when you get off that bus tonight!

Twelve feels like a big deal. They all feel like a big deal when I'm writing your letter. Seriously, though, twelve is a huge transition year. Middle school has already started and rocked our worlds a bit.

You are the same sweet, thoughtful, funny girl you've always been. Now those qualities are being tested from the outside. This year all the things that make you who you are will start crystallizing into the adult version of you.

Most of all, I want you to begin to learn to love and accept yourself. You get so frustrated by who you are sometimes, wondering why you're sensitive or afraid. I hope that this is the year that you start seeing yourself for the brave little warrior that you are. And, yes, I use "little" loosely, since you're an inch taller than I am already. I want, more than anything, for you to see yourself occasionally the way others see you. Persistent, quirky, fun and smart. You do know these things about yourself, but you tend to outweigh the parts of yourself that make the days a little longer for you. I just hope you start paying attention to all the things that make you the most awesome kid I know.

Every day that we get to spend with you is a gift. Your presence and friendship is a blessing to all who know you. I love you, and I am so proud that you're our girl.

Happy birthday, Soph.

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment