Monday, May 13, 2019

First Annual Creach Camping Trip

For the last couple of years, Erick and I have toyed with the idea of what it might mean to be outdoor people. We love hiking, campfires, adventuring outdoors. We do not love camping. 

As a matter of fact, Sophia has never once been camping. Because of adult ambivalence, she has developed a real aversion. In order to get her to agree to go camping, I had to make it my Mother's Day gift. So, sure enough, we went camping this weekend!

Here is Sophia with our lovely tent. Spacious. EASY to put up.


We stayed at the campground at Graham Cave State Park. It was raining here in St. Louis, but it held off for us at the campground all weekend. Once we set up the tent, we headed out for a quick hike in the woods. All the recent rain has made for practically a rainforest feel. It was so lovely.



Here's our campsite all set up. Sophia and Leo are in the tent. You can see Sophia's face in the window. The hammock got lots of use, and fortunately Sophia did not hurt herself.


Also, I have a new phone that has a portrait setting. So, there is this.


And this, both by firelight. We went through four things of wood in our one-night camp.


The campfire and the relaxing always make me love camping. The sleeping on the ground and waking up to the loud and insistent birds always makes me hate it. This was me in the morning before Erick made us breakfast over the fire with his camp knife and a cast iron skillet. Impressive guy, that Erick. The breakfast helped me feel less disheveled, though I doubt it aided my appearance any.


Like I said, the hammock got lots of use.


In summary, Leo and Sophia are complete and total city creatures. Leo did not have any fun at all. Sophia had fun but got very bored and cold at night. Erick and I had fun and feel like we accomplished something. We hadn't tried camping in so long that we couldn't be sure of our feelings for it. Our feelings are as follows: we can hike, have fires, play in creeks, picnic and play while still returning to an indoor sleeping arrangement, particularly when Sophia and Leo are involved. On weekends when it's just the two of us, camping can come back into the entertainment rotation.


No comments:

Post a Comment