Tuesday, October 27, 2015

So, the blog

Last night, in order to help Sophia get through a rough spot brought on by its being Monday and all, I showed her a bunch of videos from our Youtube channel. You can see what I was working with by clicking here. She was horrified to learn that one of the videos is titled "Potty Training". That was poor planning on my part, but it's really a great video that has nothing to do with potty training. It's just that she happens to be sitting...on the potty. Sorry, Soph.

The videos were helpful for her and a little bittersweet for me. I know she's growing up. She is not a fan of that, by the way. She says that her ideal age is somewhere around four or five. In her mind, that's when we stopped being able to hold her, and that seems to be the biggest disappointment in growing up. Maybe not the biggest, but it's up there.

Anyway, I'm aware that she's growing up, but I'm usually so busy downplaying it or going through the feelings for her that I forget that it's sad for me too. She's my one and only. And the days of her singing silliness to me and the pets are - nearly - over.

I was so happy a couple of weeks ago when Sophia decided that she needed to build a fairy garden. I had been sure that we had collected our last acorns. I was wrong. She collected all the acorn caps and intact acorns she could carry, and she placed them carefully in the big planter my dad made. Then she looked at me and asked if fairies were real. This one I gave up because the treasure of childhood might not be worth going out to this planter in the wee hours of the morning to make it look lived in...

Apparently this post is going to be stream of consciousness. You're welcome.

The fact remains that she is growing up. And there are fewer things to video. I don't know if that's true. I could have been videoing the soccer game this weekend, but then I might have missed seeing her very first goal with my own eyes. Here she is afterwards.


I think that's the thing. Most of the things that I want to record of 9-year-old Sophia doing are things that I'm living with her. I will try to do a better job of at least writing them down because she is just as precious and adorable now as she ever was!


3 comments:

  1. Oh Fairies are real because my mother told me so!!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, I've been feeling so much of that lately too! On the upside, having a 13 year old is pretty awesome so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, I've been feeling so much of that lately too! On the upside, having a 13 year old is pretty awesome so far.

    ReplyDelete