Thursday, April 23, 2009

Healing Words

As many of you know, this is not our first loss in pregnancy. Before Sophia, we experienced another, dramatically different loss. In November of 2005, I found out that I was pregnant about three hours before I was in surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy (an embryo that implants and grows outside the uterus).

We were shocked at the depth of our grief over a child that we had never known about or anticipated! With that loss, our grief spiked early and hit us like a ton of bricks. This time around, it was a slow march to an inevitable black hole. I stifled all feelings for weeks. Grieving this loss has been a much larger challenge in itself than our previous loss. This process doesn't "look" the way I feel it ought.

I guess the truth that I have found nestled in this drastic difference is that grief cannot be predicted. I kept expecting to have some sort of dramatic end to all the waiting. I thought my d&c would leave me devastated and finally able to feel. Quite the opposite. After coming home, I felt even less than before. I comforted myself that it was due to the pain meds, but it was really just emptiness. Emptiness that I have to live with.

Along with the difference in circumstances surrounding this loss, is the fact that we are different people. In the intervening 3 1/2 years, we have experienced much life - both beautiful and dreadful. Sophia is one very obvious change in our lives. While her presence has changed our grief, I can't say that it has made it easier. We no longer grieve the fact that we are not yet parents, but now we know from experience the unparalleled joy that is embodied in holding an infant that moments before was kicking me in the ribs. We grieve also for her in that she will have to continue to wait to know the joy of being a big sister.

This loss is different, certainly, but not easier.

Both times writing has helped. I write to process externally. Sometimes it's good, mostly it's just me. So if you like me, you like my writing. If you don't, well....

In 2005, I wrote often to cope with our family's first loss. Here is my favorite:

Yahweh, Hold My Baby

Yahweh, what do you call our baby?
Please, come whisper it in my ear.
I know that it cannot be heard aloud
At least not while we're still here.

Yahweh, can our baby see us?
Please let her sit by my side.
I don't need to see or feel her
Just to let her know we tried.

Yahweh, will you hold our baby?
She needs love like every child.
Please hold and kiss her now and always,
And tell her it's only for a while.

Yahweh, I'm so sad and lonely.
Won't you please come and stay?
I try to have hope for tomorrow
But all I want is yesterday.

Yahweh, you know all the pain.
You've seen mine and every other's.
With broken hearts and empty arms,
Our greatest desire, just to be mothers.


I am still sad when I read this, but the grief is just a shadow of its former self. Three months after my ectopic pregnancy, we found out we were pregnant with Sophia. Knowing that her life would not be possible had I carried this first child full term does not make that grief any less real or important in our lives. I think people want to move so quickly to what we have and what our loss makes possible that we miss the entire point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have written while grieving our current loss as well. Something that is interesting to me and is evident in the words below, is that I am less personally invested. I am writing to a general audience rather than to God or our baby. I think this is the difference in my grief, and this will be the main obstacle to truly grieving the loss of my child. I have to say that out loud to myself far more than I did in 2005. This was my child.

On Sunday I felt for the first time in over a month, at least as it concerned our baby. I had long lost hope of a healthy pregnancy, although I hadn't admitted its truth. So I went to the cemetery next to Grant Elementary on Broadway. It drizzled, and I was finally alone. I was desperate just to feel something. I did.


-I came alone to the quiet cemetery where my tears could be understood. By whom, I guess I'd rather not know. My jeans got wet from the rain on a bench marked 'Windmiller.' I feel sure that Eugene's wife would forgive my intrusion. I assume she would recognize the posture of one needing rest. There is no grave of my own loved one to sit near and mourn. The tree in bloom between me and my car will have to do. Our baby was too small to merit a resting place.

It's too soon for peace. That is certain. But as I look around me at all of these monuments - some old, some new - meant to mark life and death, I feel an odd relief that our baby will never come here to cry alone. If a monument would help, I would put one right here, but it won't make my love more true or my loss more tangible.

Some may seek a cemetery to find God. I came here to escape him. Today's rain may very well be God's tears shed for my baby's unfulfilled promise. I know in my heart that my god did not have this loss in his "larger plan" for my life or this child. But I still cannot seek his face. It is too soon to experience the peace that I would find there.-



If you have written to move past your own grief and would like to share it, please do.

7 comments:

  1. Well who wants to share after that! Guess we'll call you Henrietta Nouwen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Henri Nouwen quote and can relate to that. I feel that as life continues to change, I am constantly grieving something, from the little things like you mentioned earlier, to the very big things. I remember grieving the fact that we were the only ones of our close friends having a baby and then grieving again when many of them had babies very close together. However, I wouldn't change when I had my children, who they are, etc. for anything. I grieve friendship changes and yet rejoice for the new ones I've made and continue to make. I'm now beginning to grieve the loss of friends moving away, yet am excited for God's calling on their lives (and them following it) and their specific journeys that lie ahead.

    Obviously, the death of my mom at too early an age (in my opinion) still deeply hurts and I grieve almost daily for what I am missing out on with her, what my children are missing from her as a grandmother.

    When people were still gathering at the house and hundreds of people streamed into our church to celebrate my mom and support us at both her visitation & funeral, I felt such joy knowing that she was so loved. We were able to laugh at pictures we looked through and remember great stories about her. Sometimes I'm still angry she's not here, I cry fairly often and I miss her dreadfully. However, I can honestly say I'm happy and so grateful she is no longer in any pain and that she sees Jesus daily! I'd like to think her purpose or job in heaven is to hold all the precious babies that come to Jesus way too soon. She loved babies and could hold one forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed that, though so much more saddened. Not too long ago I asked my mom why there was only twenty months between me and my younger brother, 4 years between me and my older one, but nearly 11 years between me and my sister. "Seven lost ones, dear. Seven babies I couldn't hold on to." Wow. Who were those siblings of mine? "I fought to keep each and every one of your four," she said. And then hearing of your loss I have felt so sad and guilty for being one of four.

    I wish you four! I wish you ten, if you want them. I just wish you no_more_painful_unpainful_empty_times.

    God heal the broken hearted.

    Amy S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DVD, that's the greatest compliment I've ever gotten. Undeserved, but appreciated!

    Alicia, thanks so much for sharing about your grief! That is exactly the kind of conversation I'm talking about! I'm really impressed that you have identified your grief over lost and changed friendships. I think that is a really good point and a great way to see the dichotomy in what we lose and gain all in the same sweep. -- Your mother's loss was much too soon in anyone's opinion, and I am so sorry that you have to grieve that loss so early in your own and your family's life. I hope with you that she's taking care of those babies.

    Amy, I cannot express my sadness for your mother. I know that I will not experience loss that many times because I'm sure I couldn't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, LJ, as has happened often over the years, I am wrecked by your expressions. It touches on my own grief from my own personal losses. I don't have your type of courage to write about them here. I also am feeling my own grief at the loss of your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grief is so different for everyone and so is how they deal with it. Some people don't understand why, sometimes when I hold a baby, I cry. It's the pain of knowing I'll never have one of my own when that was what I wanted most. It doesn't happen every time and when it does, it is sometimes a shock. Why do I still have those feelings after all these years? Why haven't I come to grip with it? It's been a while since I thought about it and it's been a while since I held a baby - the thought kind of scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb- Thank you for sharing. I guess the question is whether or not one can ever come to grips with a truly devastating loss. I would say that your never having attained what you wanted most is an incredible and life-changing loss. I hope that you have given yourself permission to grieve each and every time it comes up, although I'm sure that would be frustrating to you.

    I'd love to talk to you more about it some time if you would like or need to do so. I have nothing to offer other than a sympathetic ear. I know better (from experience) than to offer words meant to help that only help the speaker.

    Thanks again for being so genuine.

    ReplyDelete