Monday, June 25, 2012

Grandpa's 90th


This last weekend, we drove to Illinois to celebrate my grandpa's 90th birthday. We were just a couple people short of having the whole family together, which is quite a feat in itself. The weather couldn't have cooperated any more if we had planned it ourselves. Overcast and breezy - it was a wonderful escape from the Midwest heatwave. All the way home after a day of celebrating my grandpa, I talked for quite a while about my favorite memories of growing up with Kenny Lock as my grandpa. I am grateful to have had the experiences I did. Horse shows, cattle sales, grain elevators, state fairs and all other aspects of small town life. What my favorite memories came down to were all about my grandpa trusting us (mostly me and Carrie, in my experience) to act responsibly. Giving us trust and leeway that we wouldn't find elsewhere. Sometimes we lived up to it and other times we didn't. But it shaped who I became. I am so thankful to have those memories to look back on. My grandpa is still a man who is a pleasure to be near. Stories and opinions galore. I am glad we got to celebrate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment