Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Popo


Popo, my dad's dad, has been sick for quite some some time, and now he is finally free from all that pain. I have been thinking of so many things I needed to say about him - like how Sophia loved him instantly or his surprising internet savvy. So many stories I should share - maybe you should hear about his unique collections or how he taught me sign language fifteen years ago (I've forgotten most of it.) But only one thing seems to matter at the moment. Popo gave THE best hugs, and often, as I was leaving, he would take my face in both his hands to kiss my cheek, just before he said, "I love you, Sweetheart."

I love you, too, Popo.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry for the sad post. I just couldn't sleep until it was written and posted. Thanks for your indulgence. Don't feel the need to comment or anything. I just needed to process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your Popo. Sounds like a wonderful man! I think it's totally fine to process through the blog, a way to recognize someone you loved, or something close to your heart. Nothing wrong with that. Thinking about you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad when someone so special slips the bonds we've shared. I'm sorry for your sadness and grief, but also glad to celebrate the good memories with you.

    He loved and affirmed me as if I was his own grandaughter (he would say I was). What a gift.

    I agree about the hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about Popo. Obviously he loved you as much as you love him. I will be thinking about you guys this week as you are traveling and saying good-bye.
    I love you,
    Lo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your grandfather passing. I'll look forward to hearing more stories about him. Know that we are thinking of you guys this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been terrible about catching up on everybody. Mom did tell me that Popo died. I'm so sorry, I know that you had a special place in your heart for him. If you need anything (place to sleep, etc) in IL let me know :-)

    ReplyDelete