Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Swimming

For the past month or six weeks, Sophia has shown a surprising and unexplained aversion to water. We thought it was just the bath until I tried to take her to the ARC's pool the other day. She didn't even like being accidentally splashed by fun-loving kids! So we decided to play it cool for a bit. We have been allowing her to go several days between baths, with spot washes between. The thing is, once she gets into the bath, she loves to splash and would pour water back and forth between containers for hours on end.

This weekend, we decided to make an effort to revisit the water as fun idea. Not the pool at the gym. Just a little water sprinkler thing for the front yard. When we got home to try it, the boys were already in their little pool having a good time. So we decided just to add the sprinkler to their yard.

Sophia feigned disinterest for a long time.

Finally she decided to give it a try. She hopped in for brief periods, then would get right back out.

It didn't take too long before she was having a blast with the boys and enjoying the water. I have to admit I was more than a little relieved. Last summer, we spent a great deal of time at Twin Lakes with our friends. I was counting on that as a distraction! Hopefully, this change in attitude toward the water is a permanent one.

1 comment:

  1. I love those little swim t's. So cute! If only I could find one for grown up girls...I wouldn't worry about my abs so much during the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete