Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Day for Love

I feel about Valentine's Day the way people say we should feel about Christmas, but that one feels a little more vague to me.

Anyway, what I mean is that I try to not save up my love for this special day. Don't get me wrong. I love to go out to dinner with my special someone. This is our 15th Valentine's Day together, by the way. I'm quite sure I gave it a whole lot more thought when there might be a little romantic surprise in my locker or something.

But, as a grownup, I don't think I'm better at expressing my love for him or anyone else that I care about today than any other day. Probably worse actually because it's easy to get caught up in the "should"s of Valentine's Day. And I'm never great at doing what I should do. Rebellion and a bad memory combine for some serious deficiencies.

Most days that I stop to think about it, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for all the love I have in my life. My heart definitely has no trouble overflowing to those around me. I am filled up. Every day.

Now making every day like Christmas feels like a bigger challenge. I just don't know what that means. I get that we should celebrate Jesus every day, but it's a little harder to recreate that type of halted and still adoration every day. I'm just saying.

Happy Valentine's Day to all my people. Love ya today and every other day, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment