Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Wide World (and beyond) Awaits



Sophia is a reader.


She's been very close for a long time. She's been reading words and short, simple books but hasn't cared much to push herself farther than that. I haven't pestered her about it. I knew that she'd take off when her timing was right.

The time seems to be right because she's reading great now. Chapter books, small books, whatever she feels like. It's so much fun to watch. It's even more fun to hear her tell us about what she's reading. It's a habit I, for one, have never been able to shake. Just ask Erick. The other night, our conversation included, "Well, you're going to tell me anyway, so you might as well just do it." And my response, "If you don't want to hear it, I'll try my hardest not to say it anyway." But he didn't put up a fight, so I told him the entire plot of what I'd been reading. Lucky, lucky fellow. Just kidding. Again, I'm the lucky one in that particular tale.

Anyway, back to Sophia. I am so excited for her to uncover all the promise that is held inside of a good book. I keep trying to direct her toward things like The Secret Garden and The Little Princess, but I know that she'll dive into worlds just as magical on her own. I really hope that she keeps up the practice of sharing what she reads because reading is an adventure of its own. Mystical, tangible and, above all, memorable. 

3 comments:

  1. I WILL BRING MY SECRET GARDEN BOOK NEXT TIME! HOW FUN TO SHARE IT WITH HER
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is really excited about this new development. So excited that she is yelling at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there had been pictures of me when I was a little girl, which there aren't, they would have looked much like Sophia. If there were pictures of me on any given day, the pose would be the same.

    Grandmary

    ReplyDelete