Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Nutcracker


Saturday we took Sophia to her (and our) first ballet - The Nutcracker, performed by the St. Louis Ballet. It was so much fun to share this first with Erick and Sophia. I'm not exactly sure how I've made it this far without ever seeing a ballet in person, but I have. I was definitely more excited than Sophia. We read the story twice just before nap to help her get an idea of what we would see.

So then we arrived and prepared for the show.

She had no idea what was about to happen, but she knew the characters from the book. On the way in, she kept saying, "Where Drosselmeier?" I don't know why she got stuck on that name from the book, but she did.

Once we got to Jesse Hall, she began to ask, "Where is the Handsome Prince?" Then she seemed to remember that the prince played an important role in the story because she was asking about him a lot!

She didn't make it through the whole show, which was not at all surprising for a two-year-old. Intermission seemed to be the breaking point. If we had just pushed through, I think she could have made it. As it was, we finished the show by shopping at the Nutcracker table!

It was really a pleasure to watch the performance. The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy really embodies the holiday spirit for me. It was just amazingly beautiful! I can't wait to go again next Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. You should have taken me instead of Sophia. I would have let you hold me, get your picture taken with me and would have been breathless with excitement to match yours. I would have also sat quietly thru the ENTIRE show.

    Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Eric wearing a red velour jacket? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next year, Casey. You can help me corral Sophia. And Gena ~ Erick's jacket is brown, but for some reason shows up as more "festive" in the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete