Monday, February 16, 2009

Ouch

Anyone who knows me won't be surprised to hear that I have to work really hard to be firm with Sophia. It's not that I have no rules or boundaries, it's just that I like to have fun. I've mentioned before how Sophia has my number, so to speak.

Last night, Sophia showed again that she knows my weak spot. When it was time for supper, I told Sophia that she had to stop playing with the dried beans that she was pouring in and out of containers. When I told her that if she didn't listen, we'd have to put away the beans entirely, she responded by drawing her knees up in her chair and saying to Erick, "I don't like it when Mommy acts like that to me. It hurts my feelings." ouch.

Now don't worry. I'm not going to let her go wild just because she can put words to my fears. I stayed strong. I explained to her (I know. She's two. It's ridiculous.) that we give her rules because we love her. She hopped down and said, "Okay."

I'm pretty sure she was thinking, "It was worth a shot."

3 comments:

  1. you forgot to say that she was playing with beans because she had been "digging" in water in a bucket and when I told her that she had to either move it into the sink and off the counter or stop altogether she bowed her head, got a puffy bottom lip, sat down on the stool and said, "I just had an idea and wanted to show you daddy. I wanted to dig." Needless to say we came up with the bean idea so she could dig.

    dang it--she's only 2. I'm already saving up for the car I know I'll buy her when she turns 16.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute!! Sophie, not only her name, but Sophie is just adorable. She looks just like you Laurie! I love it. So smart too, thanks for sharing! Love you-Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but both your blog and Erick's comment have me laughing out loud! Having never had kids it's fun to hear/see what parents go through and I love it!!! She's one of the smartest 2 year olds ever.

    ReplyDelete