Friday, January 9, 2009

Start Spreadin' the News

I mentioned after our August trip to New York (catch up on the story here) that I could easily imagine losing Sophia to New York City some day. She was so taken with the people and activity and bustle that she was sad to come home. She fit in pretty well in the big city.

I thought for sure that she would be over it by now. A two-year-old should not have the attention span to cling to an idea for five months. Yet today I found myself realizing that she is just as determined to go back to NYC as she ever was.

Sophia has maintained our trip to New York as a topic of conversation ever since we left. She talks about different things: swinging, shopping, the Statue of Liberty and Steve (I just realized those are all S's. Weird.) Regardless of the conversation's content, it always ends with a statement of intent to return. We have reasoned that she is fascinated with NYC because of things like Sesame Street, Little Bill and Corduroy. But we can only do that for so long.

The first time she hopped on her horse, Simba, we asked where they were headed. She responded, "New York."


The same thing with the skateboard or if Lulu happens to make a trip. The destination is always the same. At the calendar kiosk in the mall, she amused several bystanders with her excited, "It's New York City!" upon recognizing NYC images on two separate calendars. I'm torn on whether or not we should visit New York City again in the near future. (2009 is out because of self-inflicted budgetary constrictions) I don't want her to lose her feel for the city that so captured her imagination, but I don't want to lose her so far away. I know, I know. She's only two, right? Tell her that when you get a chance, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment