Sunday, July 26, 2009

Live Music is the Elixir of Life

I don't attend nearly enough concerts. This is what I say after each and every live music experience, good or bad. Friday night was incredible!

Coldplay at the Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre in St. Louis with our friends Niki and JP Harris.

I love the music of Coldplay. I have loved it for a long time, but I wouldn't call myself a devotee. Meaning I don't know the lyrics to all the songs or have the setlists memorized before I arrive at a show. That is, up until last night. After experiencing their live show, I may change my status. Devotee, I am.

Here is a video of a song that, I think, embodies why the show was so memorable. The technical aspects of the concert were truly breathtaking. The way they incorporated video into the live show made us on the lawn feel like we were as important as the patrons who paid extra to be on the front row. Honestly, I rather appreciate the whole picture far more than I appreciate being sweat on. I'm just saying.

This song is called "42". I love the video elements of the old-fashioned flickering show, along with the sing-along at the end. This is a great snapshot of the concert.



Speaking of snapshots, I got a few of my own.

We went to the concert with our friends the Harrises. After The Swell Season and Ja Rule, they are our live music consorts.



This is my favorite shot of the night. During the title track Viva La Vida, the drummer rings the bell.



Another favorite, the final encore of the evening was Life in Technicolor ii. This was by far my favorite set. I really enjoyed their use of the ginormous screen to bring to life these pieces of art. Fantastic imaging to go along with great lyrics.



This Coldplay Concert was one for the ages. I'll always remember their cover of MJ's Billie Jean, acoustic and in the audience. The outdoors is also a meaningful addition for me. Nature with awesome lyrics and melodies? Live? Doesn't get any better. Like I said, I'm working harder now to get familiar with the lyrics so next time, I'll be ready to belt it out!

1 comment:

  1. Great band, looks awesome. I've been known to make a scene on the trail while listening to "Fix You." Their album Viva la Vida had a lot of rock that seemed made for live play - I've wanted to hear "Death and All His Friends" live ever since I heard the CD, this video of "42" was great, "Viva la Vida" has some great sing-along too (and you don't have to know the words to that one). Maybe next time they're in the region I'll have to make space for them.

    ReplyDelete