Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Princess Sophia

Disney knows how to do it. That's the only way I can explain the way every staff person (or should I say cast member) that we met greeted Sophia with a "Hello, Princess!"

It didn't take Sophia long to figure out that in this place, she was a princess. She loved it - and who wouldn't? The very first store we came to in Downtown Disney was a huge toy store. Inside this store is a castle tower-like room that had crowns and jewels. Sophia could have spent all day every day in this little corner. Here she is getting ready to dance to this Cinderella music box.



A few doors down is the actual princess store. This building is "guarded" by Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. For once in Sophia's life, we didn't have to do much coaxing to get a very cute shot of her with Sleeping Beauty. She was more than happy to oblige.



Here is the scene on the inside of the princess store. Moms and dads bombarded with ways to make their little girls feel like princesses. It was hard not to get caught up in the madness.



Especially when Sophia caught a look of herself in the mirror and was clearly pleased with her reflection.



We didn't buy a thing in the princess store. Honestly, it wasn't because we didn't offer. (And she did get a stuffed animal from a different store) All she wanted in the princess store was to be sprinkled with the princess dust. Allow me to explain. At the back of the store is a salon for little girls to be transformed into princesses (for an appropriately exorbitant fee). This place is called the Bippity Boppity Boo Salon or some such. On our first day, women from the salon were by the front doors with their Fairy Godmother wands sprinkling princess dust on anyone who slowed down. They said something like "May all your wishes come true" as they sprinkled on the body glitter.

Sophia was hooked. I'm not sure what they put in this body glitter, but the next day when we passed by the store, Sophia wanted to go in and get sprinkled with princess dust again. This time, they were not at the entrance. We had to go to the back of the store, where Sophia waited (no joke) close to ten minutes, just standing in front of the cash register, to be sprinkled with princess dust. This particular fairy godmother decided that for an extra long wait, Sophia should have an extra dose of sprinkles. It was clear down her arms, but I didn't mind. I wish I could have caught the look afterwards. "Daddy, look at my sprinkly arms!" It was heartwrenchingly sweet.



Sophia, just like every other little girl, is a real life princess. It was just a wonderful moment to get to watch her live that out. By the way, if you look very carefully at Sophia's scalp, you'll see that I'm still working on a few of those glitter specks.

4 comments:

  1. This may have been the most bittersweet moment of vacation. The look on her face, the excitement, the joy, the innocence was all so wonderful. But at the same moment I couldn't help myself thinking that the next time we are there, she will be bigger. She'll have more important things to do than be bothered by body glitter and princess things with her daddy. I'm glad she'll grow up, but gosh darn it, why does it have to happen so quickly.

    LJ failed to mention that after this particular trip into the store, I had to have a few moments to myself to gather my wits. I was a bit teary (not balling mind you). You'd have thought I was having hormone surges or something.

    Admitting this (along with the teariness after the last LuLu post), I'm beginning to think I'm an emotional wreck. Or maybe that's just what kids do to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad is taking our family & my sister & brother-in-law to Disney in early December. We (well I) am soooo excited! I hope that Devon actually has a similar reaction as you, Erick, because I know being bombarded by Princess & other Disney stuff for 4 days could be a little much, but I can imagine it will be completely magical to the girls. I hope we get to witness many special facial expressions!

    There is a Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique in Cinderella's castle in the Magic Kingdom that I'm wondering if I should save my money for. I've heard you have to be 3 to get the hair and make up done, so only Cami will qualify. I also heard a tip about going to the Main Street Barbershop where you can get color streaks and pixie dust for a fraction of the Boutique's cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bippity Boppity Boutique is what this place was called too at Downtown Disney(in the world's largest Disney store.) It was a bit pricey but the girl that was getting her hairs did in the front window of the store in her princess gown sure seemed to be having fun.

    The princess stuff was overwhelming, but well worth it to spend the time with Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about Disney - they sure know how to do it. Both Madilyn and I cried driving away from our last day at Disney a couple years ago. I am not an overly Disney person - but I swear the place is magical (and emotion inducing). Kids get to be full-on kids - they and their imaginative world gets totally affirmed. Maybe they are just really good at inducing the emotion of joy - and there is nothing that will make my heart(or eyes) overflow more than seeing my kids fully immersed in joy. It's still my favorite vacation by far. We are planning a trip in December 2010 and I have wondered if with the kids being so much older than last time if it will still hold the same magic - I don't know, but if anyone can pull it off Disney can (and the new Harry Potter theme park -can't wait!!!) I am glad Sophia was treated like the pricess she is!

    ReplyDelete