Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Transitioning Lulu

Lulu comes up often around our home. I'm not sure how many times I've mentioned her here, but I remember this post, after NYC, in which I acknowledged her necessity to the success of our trip.

Since that time, almost a year ago, we have somehow become even more dependent on Lulu. For that reason, Lulu is about to fall apart. I already did my best to stitch her up, but new holes keep coming and old ones renew their size. Her stuffing has almost completely relocated and shifted. She's definitely in her sunset years, so to speak.

Before our NYC trip, I casually mentioned trying to replace Lulu with this guy. Billy.



The response I received from my readership (tongue in cheek) was such that I hesitate to bring up the topic again.

This time, I was more proactive with Sophia. I let her go onto the website: www.blablakids.com and choose any doll she wanted. Since I purchased Lulu three years ago, they have at least a dozen new and cute (won't say cuter) dolls. Sophia studied them all, commenting here and there; then she decided on another Lulu.

So, we'll be getting another Lulu in the mail some time soon. It won't be here before our Florida trip, but I think that's a good thing anyway. Sophia and Lulu can have one last Hoorah together before this new interloper comes in. We're talking a lot about the transition. Sophia still hasn't committed completely to the idea, but this time it's not really a choice. She wouldn't agree to put Lulu on a shelf, but it's okay if she sits in the blue chair in her room. I'll be sure to let you know how and when the switch happens.

I'm actually quite sad that we have to make this transition, but it's necessary. When the new one arrives, I'll take the opportunity to spend some serious "fix-it" time on current Lulu. I'll try to re-stuff her and stitch up a few more holes. She'll never be the public face of Lulu again, but she can retain a little dignity. She's meant a lot to our little family. As a matter of fact, we consider her to be part of it, and here's why:

When they first met, Lulu's smile seems to indicate that she knows her place is secure.




It didn't take long for that to become solid.



She has helped Sophia sleep comfortably.



She has monkeyed around more than once.



She defiitely helps Sophia feel better when she's sick or injured.



She has listened to hundreds of books, and she occasionally reads to Sophia.



She's even suffered in the elements.



Feel free to share your own Lulu memories if it will help

4 comments:

  1. I don't know why but reading this post actually made me a little teary. I'm a sap I guess.

    Lulu is a part of this family and always will be no matter how many interlopers come through. She's been on so many adventures with us that it is hard to imagine her not being there.

    Lulu makes me think of all we have done with Soph and she has grown up so much; it seems like just yesterday we were helping unwrap Lulu for Christmas. These 3 years have gone quickly, and I imagine the ones to come will as well.

    I love our family. I love Lulu. I'm excited about what's to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, darn it, Erick's post made me teary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My almost 13 year old daughter still sleeps with her "magical blanky".
    You may need to stock up on Lulus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Geesh! Can't believe I just cried over Lulu. One of my favorite pictures is her in New York.

    ReplyDelete