Monday, March 17, 2008

Guinness - A Special Friend


In March of 2001, I took a two-week trip to Germany with my school, College of the Ozarks - a Christian liberal arts college. The administration held firmly to a zero tolerance policy for alcohol. That policy rarely conflicted with my own. My trip to Germany was one of those rare occasions. (News to my mother. Oh well. Seven years and many more interesting transgressions later, I feel free to admit my consumption of a couple German alcoholic beverages.) I was 20, and could drink legally - as long as it was not in the presence of C of O staff. On St. Patrick's Day, a couple of rebellious girls joined me on my covert quest to drink a Guinness in an Irish Pub in Munich. After all, I was a whole five months away from drinking legally in the states. To the best of my recollection, the pub we chose was Kilian's Irish Pub. Being the weak-stomached girls we were, we ordered only one Guinness among us. I believe I enjoyed the lion's share. They, and many others since, have not understood my taste for the drink. It is a bit thick and sometimes difficult to go down, but we share a bond now. I always fondly recall my moment of rebellion as I enjoy it. I really only drink it once a year because, Man, is it strong.

'Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!'
(Happy St. Patrick's Day!)

4 comments:

  1. What a great story! My initial contact with Guinness was far less special, but it's since become a favorite of mine. I read somewhere (and have since verified) that Guinness actually has less alcohol that most beers, including AB products... But, it more than makes up for that with its nutritional content. Right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to the Rocket Widget, you can experience that same Draught freshness in COMO! Thanks, Irish scientists!

    ReplyDelete