Sunday, March 9, 2008

Spring Thoughts


Can spring finally be just around the corner? It certainly feels like I have been waiting years for this particular spring to stick around, rather than teasing us and leaving us with weather nastier than before. Erick and I got outside on our quiet Sunday afternoon for just a few minutes while Sophia slept. The air is still crisp and cold, but the sunshine warmed us as we skittered around chasing the Frisbee, reminiscent of the day we fell in love. Of course he fell in love first. Who can blame him? I got a very bad sunburn on that day eleven years ago, just before David's law school graduation. I had ill-fitting sandals for the occasion that made me regret my lack of sunblock.

Back to the present...what a gift. An early spring afternoon just to enjoy God's goodness in nature and each other.

At each season's change, I feel the need to explore and seek answers to questions that I haven't even yet asked. As a mother now, I'm not as susceptible to the urge to "get out of Dodge" that used to come over me after a crisp encounter with nature. At least I fight it off more quickly. It is rooted in a spirit of adventure and a desire for knowledge that I hope to pass along to Sophia. I just dread the day that she chooses to answer its call. As I am becoming more mature (slowly, but surely), I am able to satisfy this deep longing through exploration using resources at hand - discovering truths about myself, nature, God, others. It is far healthier, but I will understand and secretly shout with joy if someday Sophia decides to explore the world outside of her reach by "getting out of Dodge."

1 comment:

  1. Nice picture. Glad you've choosen to stay in Dodge while winter and spring once again continue the age-old fight.

    ReplyDelete