Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Quick Trip

Sophia and I made a round trip to Illinois yesterday to see my grandparents. I have been missing them, and we can never seem to find a weekend that will work for that trip, for some reason. Not to mention Sophia's trouble sleeping in a bed other than her own. So I decided to put the DVD player in the van and head up for lunch and a little visit.

Sophia was very excited to see Granny and Papa and their dog Duke. We didn't have time to visit the cows because we were busy in the kitchen. Sophia and our cousin worked on making cookies for a long while. Since there was no holiday in sight, Grandma just found all the animal cutters she could find. They had a great time making chickens, pigs, elephants, donkeys, and more chickens.



I do wish that we lived closer so these visits weren't so few and far between, but it was definitely worth the time in the van. Sophia was a wonderful travel partner! This was the longest trip we've made without Erick, and she didn't complain one bit! She did cry for a few minutes because she missed her daddy, but then she started telling more stories. The DVD player stopped working when we were still two hours from home. I thought this would be a disaster. I was wrong. Sophia began quoting books and singing songs and we told each other fairy tales for the rest of the trip. Honestly, that was worth the entire trip right there. It was a really sweet time for me.

This was my view for the trip. Corn out the windshield. A princess in my mirror. Not a bad way to spend a Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh! I love that last picture! (and was glad to see the stopsign...) When Aaron was a baby there was almost a year that we went up to IL at least once a month. I still cherish those memories with my grandfather, I'm so glad I did it. I need to think about why I don't do that more often now... oh, I guess school schedules and such, and there was a time when the boys stopped travelling well, so that kind of put an end to it when they were littler. I hope this frees you up to take more trips up there, you know you'll never regret the time spent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I had actually thought that this needs to be more of a regular occurrence. I do think I'll try to fix/get a new DVD player first. No need tempting the traveling with toddler gods. There are so many things I want to do and talk about that I don't know why I don't do it more often. I can think of several reasons off hand that you don't. :)

    ReplyDelete