Sunday, September 27, 2009

Happy Three Sophia!!



Dear Sophia,

Happy birthday, Sophia! I cannot believe that it was three whole years ago that I first laid eyes on you. It seems like I've known you forever.

This birthday has been made extra special by the birth of your baby cousin Henri! Having that tiny beautiful baby come so close to your birthday has brought back so many meaningful memories for me. I will never forget the first time I held you in my arms, and amazingly, you feel just as good to me now when I can get you to hold still. There are times I walk into your room while you're sleeping, and I still catch my breath at the sight of your peace-filled and innocent face.

I really love getting to know you. You are an original. As frustrating as it will be to others (probably a future partner), I love the way you scoff at the rules that govern play and life. You don't need a reason to be. You just are. You just do. You are completely free to love and be loved.

From all the books and from the advice of those who have gone before, I am ready for this year to be a challenging one for you and for me. But I plan to make the most of it. I fully expect to learn as much about myself as you learn about the world during this year. So far being your mother has been the most educational experience of my life. Thank you for being patient with me. I'll do my best to return the favor.

I love you, Sophia. I hope your birthday is as beautiful as the little girl we're celebrating!

4 comments:

  1. Sophia was in true princess form for her party, delightful. 3-year-old parties are buzzing, but she seemed to feel beautiful, celebrated and truly grateful. Special girl.

    My favorite moment was coming in the door to be greeted by the princess, the look on her face was priceless as we ooed and ahhed over her. But a close second was after the party was over and the 5 cousins went upstairs. 5 kids ages 6 to 2, in 1 room and they played together wonderfully. Special kids.

    (in addition to all the lovely, by the end of every boy birthday, I have been reminded of the phrase "too much birthday" so good luck this evening!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yep, thats who we miss"

    Happy Birthday Sophia

    Love Grandpa and Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Sophia!! You are a very lucky girl to have parents who love you so much along with grandparents, aunt, uncle, cousins, and so many other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Sophia! You are one special and fun girl. So glad that we're neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete