Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Next Step

Recently, Sophia and I took a big step toward her independence when I dropped her off at the Tryps Movin' and Groovin' class on Wednesday mornings. That had been going pretty well, but she is by far the oldest kid and seemed to get kind of bored with some of the activities that she was riveted by on the first week. Not to mention some sort of late onset separation anxiety. She cried so much that I stayed with her yesterday. Then she clung to me through the class. Waste of money that day. However, she has been in love with her teacher, Miss Hallie, the entire time. So, since this was the last week of the session, I had a talk with Hallie about next steps. She mentioned that on Thursday mornings she teaches a dance class at DanceArt of Columbia for 3- to 5-year-olds. When I casually mentioned the possibility to Sophia, she began jumping and dancing and insisting on being referred to as a ballerina. So, it was settled.

Last night, we went to Target to buy the dance clothes and slippers. Sophia was nearly beside herself with excitement over the whole thing. I thought by this morning's class time, it would wear off, but it didn't - aside from a couple of "Mommy, will you be with me"s.

She strutted right into her class and sat down next to her "ballerina friends." They all seemed very sweet and just as excited as Sophia about the prospect of dancing for fun.



Sophia was a very good listener and kept up with all the other kids, even though she is a few weeks behind them. I'm really excited for her to find something that she enjoys so much. It was also important to me that this dance studio seems to be very laidback from all appearances. I didn't see pictures of little girls dressed like porcelain dolls, so I'm on board. No offense meant to those particular dancers or parents, of course. I'm just a naturalist. I do love to see kids in their natural state. This coming from a mom whose daughter looked like a contractor yesterday (boy's flannel shirt and work khaki pants). What can I say? Sophia has lots of natural states...



In a few weeks, there will be an open house class, during which I can take pictures during the class. I'm looking forward to that because just from the glimpses I had from the window, it looks like a great time!

When we got home, Sophia had to go across the street to show off her dancing clothes. She will be thrilled to see more pictures of herself on "her website." Oh, and here's a gratuitous Henri shot. He seems impressed by his ballerina cousin, too. The admiration is mutual...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From princess to ballerina - the wonderful life of a beautiful 3 year old!!

    ReplyDelete