Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Taking Pictures of My 3-year-old

I can't say this is how it is for someone trying to take pictures of just any kid or 3-year-old, but the other day I had a fun time taking pictures of Sophia at the park. I caught many of her favorite go-to expressions and avoidance tactics.

This particular day, maybe the last really warm one until spring, Sophia felt like being a princess at the park. It was a great time of day, just before Erick gets home from work, so I could get some really nice shots. Good light. Blond hair. Tiara. Memories in the making, people.



Of course when I let her know that I brought the camera and I would like to take some pictures of her, she can't help but try to avoid eye contact entirely. That's her primary defense against the paparazzi. Occasionally, if she realizes that I caught her making eye contact, she'll just throw in a crazy look, trying to ruin my picture. Sometimes those are the best.



The rarest shots of Sophia include a pose. Typically those also include the Cinderella dress. I was actually shocked by this one. I was probably sounding pathetic with my requests for eye contact at this point, so she thought she'd throw me a bone. She stopped digging for a moment to present me with what I can only assume is her picture perfect posed princess smile.



Then we get to the part that is classic Sophia. She can't stop telling the story about whatever she might be creating long enough to even pretend that I'm not there. Here is what our little storyteller looks like when she's really in creative mode. I don't remember for sure which moment this was, but I think she's giving me instructions on how long I have to wait to touch the very hot potato and bacon (mulch & acorn) soup.



Finally, a real smile. I recognize this as a smile she gets when one of us has just said something that really amuses her. Probably her, but occasionally I'll get lucky.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! I feel your pain. My 3 won't sit still long enough to get pictures, or for that matter give me eye contact (well, I suppose if you include the typical "Cheese" yelling photos, then maybe). You did great capturing those adorable faces she makes. What an imaginative little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious princess you have! I remember my 3 year old princess who had imaginary friends etc one was Sarah (2) and Mary who was formed after watching Mary who advertised for Goods Furniture:)

    ReplyDelete