Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The reason he's leaving...


....is the reason that we should be sorry to see him go. From the moment I began to work for Governor Blunt, back when he was Secretary of State, I knew that he wasn't the typical politician. I went into Jefferson City without the foggiest idea of what politics requires of its players. I learned very quickly that there were only a handful of Missouri officials for whom I would be willing to work. I just happened to be working for one of them. My idealistic view of politics was only at home in that one office.

Governor Blunt is not the most charismatic leader in Missouri politics. I don't think this comes as a shock to anyone. If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone (on staff and off) moan about the fact that he didn't "take enough time" with them or "wasn't friendly enough," I could have quit my job a lot earlier. That didn't matter to him, and it shouldn't have mattered to us. He is smart and he actually cares about Missouri. That's why he's leaving. He would not be doing his family or the state any favors to stay in a race that he doesn't care to win. I am willing to trust him when he says that this is not where his life is headed. I respect him for not doing what is expected of him.

Just a few thoughts of my own to add to the mix.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! when someone ask me why I said because he is just to nice of a guy but i am sorry to see him go.

    ReplyDelete