Sunday, July 13, 2008

Old Friends Good Times

This weekend, we enjoyed a visit from my college roommate and her family. Risha, Paul and Lilly (3yo in September). They live south of St. Louis in Ste. Genevieve, which is 3 hours away. With sick kids and busy schedules, we went practically a year without a visit! That is the longest we have gone since college.

Risha and I simply lucked out in the roommate department. As first semester freshmen, we didn't expect to find a lifelong friend in a roommate, but we did. We were odd 18 year old girls. We both had serious boyfriends in Springfield (that we each ended up marrying). We typically went to bed around 8:30 or 9:00 every night. We didn't have cars for the first two years. All in all, we were incredibly boring, but it worked out so well for us. After spending literally every waking, non-class moment together for a year, we had developed quite a bond. She helped me study more, and I helped her study less. She helped me stay grounded, and I helped her get goofy. It was a good arrangement. Erick and I have talked a lot about the fact that having Risha as my roommate probably kept me out of a lot of trouble, as well as helping Erick and I to stay together through those typically tough years.

After our junior year, Risha and Paul got married. My last year felt like an entirely different experience. Partly because of that change, but also just because I was ready for marriage and life myself. I am so grateful that we have managed to stay friends over the years. That is largely due to the fact that Erick and Paul get along so well too. Now Lilly and Sophia seem to be good friends. When they left today, Sophia looked broken hearted when she couldn't get in Lilly's van. It is a friendship that I plan to keep for the rest of our lives. These are the years it will be the hardest. Risha is expecting their second little girl in November. These beautiful princesses certainly fill our lives and hearts, but they also make it difficult to keep our friendships strong. It is worth all of the work, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Here is a video of our morning together. Lilly is singing and playing the guitar while Sophia dances in some green heels. Wow. They're girly girls.

5 comments:

  1. Sophie is quite the dancer! She almost gets out of control around the 18 second mark. I need her to teach me how to walk in heels. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... I'm going to go call my favorite college roommate! Of course, we were not so good for each other;)
    What's your tat, and where is it???????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your memories. I am happy for the time you had. She was indeed a grand horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. Risha reads this, DVD. She will know that you called her a horse. Are you suggesting that I shared too many memories in one week?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dvd, I love horses, but I am not sure I want to be called one....ha...ha... Laurie is so right, it was an act of God that we were matched up as roommates. Good friends are hard to find. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete