Friday, August 1, 2008

Bittersweet...Again


I suppose throughout these umpteen years of watching Sophia grow into a young woman, I will have thousands of little bittersweet moments. The other day, I had one while looking through my photos. See, this time it was a GOOD thing that I was looking through the camera lens. I definitely wouldn't have noticed this particular foreshadowing. Of course, I wouldn't have noticed it either if I had just gotten up to follow her. Sophia is a bit of a free spirit. She behaves and all that, but there is something else in her that tells me that she knows that she doesn't really need me. Honestly, that makes our relationship all the more special. At some level, I think Sophia already chooses to be with us. Sounds ridiculous, I know.

Anyway, when I looked back at this picture, I had the feeling that I'd be seeing a lot of this throughout the rest of my life. The back of a beautiful baby, carrying a little bag and her friend. Then the back of a girl as she goes to explore the world. Then the back of a lovely independent woman as she experiences life in all its ups and downs. It is going to be quite a ride. I can't wait!

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully captured in a picture and in words! Her spirit brings a smile to my face. I have had "We love our Friends" in my head for the past two days. That girl has soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post honey. It is a bittersweet topic to think about. I can't imagine a better gift to Sophia than the preparation and courage to strike out on her own, to make a way for herself, and to be proud of each and every step away that she takes towards becoming an independent person. I know I will be proud of her. I want her to know that her parents will always love her and be there for her, but she should take her "home" with her where ever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you highlight just one color in your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My camera (Canon S5) has a "color accent" option. You select the color you want to highlight, and it does the rest. Kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete