Friday, August 8, 2008

Lulu's Competition

We are traveling to New York City next week. Most of you know this, but I'm sure it's news to some. Anyway, part of our preparation included buying a possible replacement for Lulu. Lulu is Sophia's best friend, and if she were to fall down unnoticed in some NY Subway, what would we do? I can tell you what we wouldn't do, and that's try to track her down again! So, in order to prevent such a disaster from ruining our chances of a good night's sleep, I purchased a replacement. SHA, a store in downtown Columbia that carries Blabla dolls, only had one in the right size. His given name was Buzz. The process to choose him was not simple, and Sophia still wouldn't commit to cuddling with him if we lost Lulu. I think that was too great a betrayal. When it came to giving him a new name, that process was challenging as well. We went through a series of names that Sophia would come up with. I would then ask if that was his name, to which she would reply, "Noooo," in the Silly Mommy tone. Finally, she said "Lilly!" I asked if his name was Lilly? Again, she responded no, Billy! Finally, he has a name. Billy.

Lulu looked on in disgust at the proceedings, in spite of my assurances that Billy is simply an insurance policy should something happen. This was her response. Dejection. Poor Lulu. She's not doing herself any favors with this pose, is she? Billy looks a lot more cuddly and like he'd be better company, but what do I know?

4 comments:

  1. If Billy wants to go to New York- we could watch Lulu for you. Her Gigi would get along just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Billy's coming for sure, but he'll spend the trip in our suitcase unless he becomes necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill will be pleased that Sophia chose such a name. I guess it could be good or bad depending on how much she ends up liking him! I hope you have a wonderful trip, and I hope you don't have the need for Billy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely thought of Bill when she named him that. Of course, your Billy will never be Billy to me, so at least it won't be weird if I have to cuddle with him (Sophie's Billy, that is.)

    ReplyDelete