Saturday, August 16, 2008

Home Again

Once we arrived home today, Sophia has been uncharacteristically melancholy. It would be easy to chalk this up to a very long traveling day. It was. . . she woke up at 3 a.m., thanks to honking delivery trucks and what we have decided was an uneasy feeling for her. We met our car service at 5:15 a.m., and after an O'Hare layover, we arrived home around 2:00 p.m. But it's not the long day that has caused her to be sad. She's not fussy or grumpy really. She just lost a little of the spark she had this morning in Manhattan at 3 o'clock in the morning. Take a look at this spark.

Her sadness this evening makes me sad too. I know it's too dramatic, but I think I'll end up losing Sophia to the city. It's not an overstatement to say that she was in her element. If you'll remember from our Atlanta trip in April, Sophia loves the faces, stories and conversation made available in a big city. After only five full days in New York, I can easily estimate that fifty or more people knew her by name. She made fast friends with anyone, animal or person, who looked her direction. She visually thrived on the focus. Of course this leaves me both relieved and sad for her that we left.

Seriously, though, our little family had a fantastic time wandering around Manhattan for five days. Sophia and I stuck to the parks primarily while Erick was in class. She did her best to try her fanny in each and every swing in the City. It was a little ridiculous. I honestly didn't know that my arm could get sore from pushing her in the swing, but it did! Here's a sampling (honestly not all) of her swinging....
Our first morning at Washington Square Park:

Tuesday morning at Union Square after plums from the Farmer's Market:

The Baby Swings at Central Park were full of babies, nannies, moms...and Erick...

The Big girl swings in Central Park:

A random park in the village that we didn't even bother to get the name of:

Also, a park on Thompson in SoHo, where we swung with Julianna Margulies and her son. No joke. We left her alone, but I'm sure it was her. She was in full papparazzi-free gear. No, I didn't take her picture.

When we got home today she seemed happy for a little while, then put her head in her hands on the couch, saying, "I want to go to Sophie's house." She had been convinced that the family residence at NYU we stayed in was her house the last few days. She was in absolute heaven because the security and door personnel knew her name and would welcome her loudly each time and mourn when she left. We were the only ones to greet her when she arrived home today. She didn't have a crowd of grad students to smile and wink in her direction. Our quiet little life, even with all of our friends and family, will be a quiet adjustment for her. I know she'll return quickly to feeling at home in her life, but I think I saw something this week that will remain with my little girl. We'll see. Sounds as though I'm feeling a bit melancholy myself. Honestly, I was thrilled to be home! Every mile we got closer just gave me a bigger smile. Don't worry, I have plenty more to say about New York. Plenty more pictures. This was all I had the energy for this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment