Sunday, September 14, 2008

Falling in Love Again


Over six years ago, Erick and I made the trip to New Orleans in our 95 Dodge Neon for our honeymoon. It was an experience that we can never and would never want to forget. Full of ups and scattered with downs that we didn't mind, it was the trip of a lifetime. Not only was that trip the greatest opportunity we had to fall more deeply in love, it turned out to be the opportunity to fall in love with a city.

This was our third trip to the Big Easy, and we fell in love all over again. For us, New Orleans embodies freedom, romance and community. Our goal for the weekend was to rest, relax and enjoy each other's company. We jumped into this goal with both feet. We enjoyed great food, fantastic live music and people-watching to soothe the soul. It was really the best trip that we could have hoped for.

As you all know, I had been experiencing a certain amount of dread as it related to leaving my sweet girl for the weekend. Turns out, she didn't share my concern. Each time we checked on her, she seemed to be as well-adjusted and happy as the moment we left. I was certainly relieved. It even added to my enjoyment. I had a better time than I had expected to, since I thought I'd be worried about Sophia. Of course, as Mommy, there's a smidge of disappointment that she didn't pine for my comfort or kisses or special way of doing things. It's a disappointment I can quickly get over. I'm just saying.

Here is our room. The same one we stayed in during our May 2005 visit with Paul & Risha (although P&R had their own room.)

In subsequent posts, I plan to share with you some specifics of our trip. We ate some fantastic food, and enjoyed some heavenly beverages. Then, we also took in some of the best live music, or at least most entertaining people that New Orleans had to offer.

I can honestly say, each time we go to New Orleans, we enjoy it more than we did the last. Not sure when we'll get back there again, but if I can talk any of you into going some time, that would do me some good. I can live vicariously.

No comments:

Post a Comment