Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Almost 2 . . . or is it 13?

With a birthday coming up, we've been thinking a lot about this new phase. What we didn't realize was that two would be so much like thirteen. From what I hear (I was a perfect teenager myself), teenage girls can be, um, difficult. Lots of their own opinions, they don't like anything you do, and they seem to already know everything! Enter not-yet-two Sophia.

Sophia has become very independent and it's not always cute - although sometimes it is.

What I didn't mention about Sunday's visit with my parents is that she spent the first 30 minutes or so being taciturn and anti-social. When asked a question, she would gruffly answer and walk away. It's not the typical whiny toddler response she has when she's normally being unpleasant, but it's still unpleasant.

Today, we had another phase of teenage angst. Basically, she just doesn't want anything to do with whatever I suggest. Here she is mulling it over. She's not in trouble here. It's just her way of letting me know she doesn't appreciate my input.

Another time this weekend, she and I were having a disagreement over an established boundary. I don't even remember what it was. She turned and walked to Erick, while pointing back at me. She said, "I'm kind of sad at her." It was very hard not to laugh, but in reality I was proud of her! There was nothing bad about her telling us how she felt or that she disagreed, as long as she was being nice about it. So, she's already learning, and maybe having these "trial runs" will make her teenage years more tolerable.

3 comments:

  1. my darling teenage girl is much the same as she was when she was 3... for whatever that's worth....

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least she has not started any illegal dog breeding yet. that is more of a 3 or 4 year old thing i believe.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get this second picture!! So cute and what a beautiful profile that girl has! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete