Friday, May 23, 2008

Something of Importance



One thing that I love to do with my spare time is help out an organization called Invest, Inc. Bethany and Nick are the operators of this organization. Bethany is an alum of MU, and Nick is a native of Malawi. Essentially, what they do is practically equip and educate villagers in Malawi, specifically widows and orphans of AIDS victims, in order to provide them with the resources and capacity to provide for their own daily needs. They also sponsor somewhere around 60 orphans between two villages, providing them with daily meals (they may otherwise do without) through the feeding program. This is just the briefest description of their ministry. It is much more deep and detailed than that, but go to the website for more information, or feel free to ask me! I'd love to talk more about it.

The reason I am writing about this now is simple. There is a need. I am honored to put together their monthly newsletter from information given to me by Bethany and by their Malawi Director. This month's update was disturbing. Only two of the thirty plus children from their second village have been sponsored. Because of this and other shortages, they have been forced to bring those children to the first village and combine feeding programs into one. I can only imagine the challenges presented by this given the lack of transportation and the need for these children by their mothers, and a score of other difficulties.

What better place to talk about this than on this blog. I don't expect everyone to decide this is as important to you as it is to me, but if it stirs anyone to action, I will count it as a victory. Please give it a moment's thought. I know that times aren't the best. Gas is expensive. You already give generously. I'm just saying. Give it a minute and take a look.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for what you give to Invest - the time, money, energy, prayer. It's a great organization that is actually helping overcome poverty and hunger and sickness in one small corner of the world. I'm glad to be a part of it as well.

    ReplyDelete