Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Weekend of Extremes

This weekend was both very good and just okay. It's a weekend, so it's rarely very bad. All of the unpleasantness revolved around the two health issues in our home: Sophia's recovery from pneumonia and my recovery from the head wound.

Saturday morning, we went to Jefferson City to attend a ceremony in which Erick's late grandfather, Ross Creach, was being honored again as a Missouri State Highway Patrolman to lose his life in the line of duty. He was one of many to be recognized in such a way that day. I didn't see much of the ceremony, although I did get to hear the governor's speech. It was good as always. Sorry. Can't help it. Anyway, I was busy trying to A) keep warm, and B) entertain a very grumpy Sophia. Holy cow, was it every cold! I think if the wind had stopped blowing, it would have approached pleasant. As it was, it was all I could do to keep two feet on the ground! We made a couple of trips inside, and I got a lot of this look:

It was another time when I was grateful that I couldn't understand all of her vocabulary. One needn't use one's imagination to guess what she is saying.

The best time of the morning was spent at the "mountain" looking at the nearly dead tulips. I was very bummed that I missed their prime photo time.

The rest of the day was spent doing things we enjoyed and keeping Sophia happy. Did I mention she's on steroids again? They just make a mess of her. Anyway, it was all in all a pleasant day. For a change this weekend, we attended Saturday night service at our church since we wanted to be able to relax on Sunday morning. That was a good choice.

Today was a productive day. I got a lot of cleaning done during Sophia's brief nap, and then we carted her off to Grandmary's house to get a little rest and some desperately needed time to connect. Between my head, Sophia's lungs and Erick's allergies, Erick and I had probably exchanged a total of three sentences this week that weren't related to the preceding topics. So we were very glad to have some uninterrupted quality time.

The evening, however, was spent going from trainwreck to meltdown. She's just so tired from all of this, and so hepped up on steroids, that she really doesn't feel herself. Not to mention what we think is a tummy ache caused by all the medicine and a lack of desire to eat. One of my random projects today was to plant some flowers. I planted these flowers willy nilly in about ten minutes, and Sophia was glad to help. The result was a very dirty girl.

We're hoping for a better day tomorrow as her last dose of steroids is in the morning. Getting into a routine again always seems to help a bit too. I'm open to any suggestions on helping to settle her tummy. She is a very finicky eater these days. The fever magnified that tremendously.

Here's hoping for a good week. It's a busy one...

3 comments:

  1. Laurie,
    I would suggest a lot of candy and sugary sweets. Tons of cookies and ice cream. Eat dinner at Cold Stone (take us with you when you go). I recommend a a large amount of Skittles, Dots, starburst, 3 musketeers and ho hos. That should do it

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about advice from a mom whose child is eating solids? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you and Sarah have lots in common with the steriod effect on children. Wesley actually had a steriod shot instead of daily doses...he had a bad night after that no doubt!

    ReplyDelete