Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Very Good Start to the Week



We've had a very good start to the week around here. As I said, it is going to be a busy one. Monday was our friend Will's birthday. So we met him and some of our other friends at the park for a little lunch and play. Sophia was still not quite herself, so our play was cut short. I knew something was wrong when I offered her favorite pastime and she said "No swing!"

The evening was spent celebrating Cinco de Mayo with Erick's Grandma Charlotte and Uncle Bill, who were visiting from California and Oregon respectively. We also enjoyed the company of our Timbers Court crew. I didn't get any pictures that evening. Sophia was still not herself and refused to willingly go to anyone but me for the large part of the evening. She would, however, seek out one of our neighbors "Big Aaron" (we have to call him that as a distinction from one of Sophia's other favorite people Cousin Aaron.) She was constantly asking where Big Aaron was and would then cover her eyes when he looked in her direction. I have tried to tell her to work on her methods, but it seems to be working pretty well for her.

Yesterday, Sophia was finally starting to feel a little better. She still wants to spend most of her day being held and/or in front of the TV. Preferably both. She's sick. So don't judge me. Anyway, yesterday we actually played and she spoke in a normal tone of voice instead of the high pitched whine I have come to know and love. I was so glad to see this change because I was leaving her with Casey yesterday afternoon and evening, and I was starting to feel very guilty. Erick and I went with our friends the Harrises to see The Swell Season. The Harrises are apparently our concert going friends. Back in December (yes, December! Last night we were convinced this happened in February), we went with them to see Ja Rule. This was an entirely different experience.

I mentioned the movie Once and their Oscar winning song before. The Swell Season is a band the two musicians formed as a result of their working together before and during the sound track. I can't begin to describe how great this concert was. The opening act was a "giant" Irish performer, Damien Dempsey. This was both literal and figurative. He was physically imposing, and Glen Hansard from The Swell Season said that he is part of the best that Ireland has to offer. Our favorite song of his was entitled. "I'm never going to let your negative vibes and comments get through to my psyche and cripple me." I think on the album, it's shortened to "Negative Vibes." He was a good opening act. I did feel as though I was getting something through watching him perform that I would never get anywhere else.

The Swell Season performance was outstanding. The chemistry that the entire group of musicians has is very energizing. The opening number was one of the highlights without a doubt. Glen Hansard walked out alone and stood in front of his microphone, acoustic guitar not yet plugged in, and belted out "Say it to me now." Below is his slightly different performance of this song in Portland months ago. It doesn't do it justice, but here it is anyway. Just because I wanted to hear it again reallly.

We commented last night that we can't remember a concert that an artist explained the back story of each and every song. It didn't hurt that Glen Hansard is Irish. He loves to talk. It was so much fun to try and follow him on his babbling brook of expressions and attempts to explain the heart and its intricacies. My favorite tirade had to do with his disgust with technology. An iTunes playlist could never have the power of a compilation cassette tape, and an email is just not as tangible or tactile as a meaningful hand-written letter. "Because if you kiss the monitor, you'll get an electrostatic shock to your lips." I happen to agree with him, yet here I am contributing to the cause. In the future I will simply send you all letters with the same information. . . daily . . . okay, maybe not. The entire set was very eclectic. Market and Glen switching between guitar and piano and back was tiring just to watch. The flow of the set list was great, though. Marketa's vocals are, as Niki said, "Like the tinkling of bells." And I love it when Glen screams out the lyrics, but simply because you think that heart of his is breaking. Anyway, great concert.

Anyway, it was a terrific time. Niki and I are convinced that we could be friends with Glen and Marketa. They would certainly be fascinating individuals to get to know.

3 comments:

  1. It was a great concert. Don't forget a shout out to the Wilfong's who met us there.

    The music is undeniably awesome. It's popularity shows how much we all just want good music not the same ole American Idol pop regurgitation.

    Swell Season acoustically rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I almost edited it to add them. Thanks for helping me out. When are we headed out to their next show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm sure it lacked the emotional intensity of "Stickwitu," I am glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like I would have loved it too. And I empathize with your semi-obsession with an emotive Irish rocker.

    By the way, not true on the elctrostatic shock prediction. It just smears the screen.

    ReplyDelete