Monday, October 6, 2008

The apple doesn't fall far...

...but she falls often. Unfortunately, it appears that Sophia may have inherited my lack of hand-eye-or any other part coordination. She falls and drops things frequently, even for a toddler (probably still not as much as I do.) She has always been far more interested in the spoken word than the careful step. That's always been my excuse, too.

Up until this week, it has always been small cuts and scrapes that a well-placed kiss could fix. On Friday, that all changed. Sophia dropped a very heavy toy directly onto her big toe. She screamed like I haven't heard her scream for about 40 minutes until I finally rocked her to sleep in my bed. In the four days following this unfortunate incident, she has been a trooper. Most of the time, she runs around great, with a slight limp. She stops occasionally to have a good cry about it. And she never forgets to remind us of how her toe " 'till kinda hurts." Up until this afternoon, she had insisted on having a sock on it at all times because she didn't want to see her toe.

Last night, we noticed that her toenail was looking completely black, so we became certain that it would fall off. Today, it looks even worse. Tonight there was an incident with a door that made it certain that falling off is inevitable. Here is what it looked like earlier in the day when she was able to ignore it completely.

Awful, isn't it? It looks much worse now.

I just feel terrible when she has problems like this that I can't help with in the least. On this one, I'm looking for some more assurance or helpful advice. By those who have lost nails, I've been told it's not painful. However, I've also read that at the end, I may have to sever a piece of skin under the nail to fully release it. Doesn't sound like a fun job for me, I have to admit.

Having fully embraced my own inner klutz, I know this is just the first of many such unpleasant tasks. I suppose I should go ahead and get used to the idea.

7 comments:

  1. Ouch! Poor baby!

    BTW, sorry, but I just simply wasn't offended by your pj's.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Laurie! (and poor Sophia too) The picture gave me chills. I had to pull a splinter out of Will's foot yesterday and got to thinking, "How will I ever deal with serious injuries?" I'm such a wimp when it comes to such things! I would say kiss that toe for me, but that's kind of gross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even sure this was a serious injury, but I cried while I held her on Friday just because it feels so helpless! And at that moment, I was pretty sure it was broken....which no one can do anything about!

    She keeps asking us to kiss it, but fortunately she's okay with a kiss to the top of the foot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouchie, ouchie, Ouchie! That looks like it hurts! I hate that helpless feeling! I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Sophia! That makes my heart (and my stomach) hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey..i am gena's friend, and just stopped by to read your blog. (also Zack Smith's sister)I just recently lost my thumbnail, after slamming it in the car door. In my case, it didn't hurt at all as it fell off. It came off in little tiny bits day by day. I really didn't even notice it after a while. Hope it goes the same way with hers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have the name of a great pediatric orthopedist. Sounds like you may need it someday;)
    Poor Sophia... that's gotta hurt!

    ReplyDelete