Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Back to the Comfort Zone


Parenting has been easier this week. Other than a 40-minute unexplained scream fest this morning, we've been doing well. After normal calming methods didn't work, and Sophia just clearly needed to let it all out, I just went ahead and took my shower. At one point, I plugged my ears just to listen to the water beating my head. (Maybe Sophia doesn't get all her drama from Erick.) Anyway, she stopped crying a few minutes into the shower, and since I could still hear her shuffling around, I knew she hadn't somehow met catastrophe. I came out, and she was snuggled up on our bed under the covers with her head on Erick's pillow. She said, "I'm asleep in Daddy's bed" and she wanted me to sing her a song to sleep, so I guess we were good.

It's comforting to me to know that Sophia can soothe herself. That used to be a big deal as an infant at nighttime, but now we're into a new stage of soothing. So, I'm just glad that even though I'd be willing to hold her through it, she has glimpses of self-sufficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment