Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tailgating on a Diet


When we started our 6-week eating plan, we were fully aware that it coincided perfectly with the beginning of football season, and therefore would essentially ruin our tailgating for the bulk of the season. We have been as faithful as we could be, only enjoying a fraction of the beer (that sounds bad) that we normally would.

Yesterday, with a 7 o'clock kick-off time, we were just going to HAVE to try our best to come up with a tailgating solution, because tailgate we must! It was really a collaborative effort, assisted greatly by our friends. I had been complaining via instant messaging to our friend Martin that during his visit to our tailgate this weekend, we would be virtually beerless. He helpfully informed me of MGD 64, Miller's lightest beer, having only 64 calories! For some reason, Erick is strictly a no-Miller man, so Milwaukee's finest brew isn't often enjoyed in our home. Desperate times call for desperate measures. So, we gave it a try.

Erick summed it up pretty well. "It tastes about like you'd expect a 64-calorie beer to taste." However, having had so little exposure to beer in the past 3 1/2 weeks, it tasted pretty darn good. I don't think we'll make it a habit, though.

Our tailgate food was greatly boosted in appeal by our friends the Chandlers. Knowing of our resolution to continue with the eating plan, they chipped in by bringing these vegetable kabobs (photograph courtesy of Casey.)

They were even tastier than they look. So, that is one tailgate adjustment that just might remain after our initial period is over. With peppers, onions, and the largest zucchini and yellow squash that I have seen in a long time, complemented by some fresh mushrooms and grape tomatoes for color, these were the finest veggie kabobs in my memory. Mmmmmm.

Anyway, the Tigers didn't make it easy for us to stay on track last night. In the midst of our offensive sputtering, I was really missing some chips and queso, or at least some real beer! We managed to push through, although the Tigers couldn't. Next week, when the Tigers play Texas, we'll be good and I have no illusions that we'll have a lower stress level. I do, however, think our result will be different next week! Go Tigers! Feast on some Longhorn for me, since I have to control my portion size.

3 comments:

  1. Aw man, I love kabobs!! Too bad we couldn't hang at your place longer. It was great to see you guys again, though. Hopefully Adam and I will catch you guys at the MU KU game next month, and hopefully the Tigers still only have 1 loss at that point :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beer has never held any fascination for me, but now those kabobs look spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, wine is my preference, but the calories!

    ReplyDelete