Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pause for Authenticity


I'm only going to post this because it means so much to me to hear that other people struggle with this stuff. Maybe that's only me. In which case, I apologize in advance for admitting my weaknesses; please disregard and move on to brighter, cuter posts and pictures of Sophia.

Okay, so it's been a difficult week. Yes, Sophia is hilarious and endearing and smart. It turns out, she is also my nemesis. It really stuns me at times how a two-year-old person can push my button, ring my bell and get my goat the way that Sophia does. Each time it happens, I am more than willing to assume it is due to some failure on my part to teach her to respect me or something. I'm never sure exactly where the failure is; I'm just confident there is one.

As I stated in my last post, this has been a hectic week. Our busy schedules have combined with very early mornings and fun things like vaccinations to create the perfect storm. For some reason, when I am tired and busy and have virtually no margin to give, Sophia senses weakness and takes the opportunity to land the knockout punch. I understand that she is two. I'm fully aware that this next season of our lives is going to be challenging simply because of her age. It should be. She is learning to be independent, and I am learning to exercise authority in love. But I also understand that Sophia is perceptive, especially when it comes to me. She has had my number since she was a baby. She knows that my natural tendency is to lean into love and let authority go. It may sound crazy, but it's been proven over and over. I am not giving her too much credit.

Knowing my tendency to sacrifice authority for love (not to say that those who exercise greater authority lack love), I have to analyze each decision I make in dealing with Sophia. It's a split second mental marathon to determine my reasoning and rationale for coming to a conclusion. For example, I am cooking dinner. Sophia asks me to read a book. My natural response is "Yes." But because of my tendency to be a pushover, I think it over first. I go over in my head my reasons for saying yes. Am I doing it because I want Sophia to like me? Should I really finish dinner? How long will this chicken take? Which book is it? Am I afraid of a fit? If I say no, and she throws a fit, I can't change my mind. I'm not sure that mental lightning storm makes sense to anyone else. I'm not even sure it makes sense to me. The thing is, in a week like this one, my mind just frizzes out after the first question. The result is indecision and frustration for both of us.

This morning I shared my frustration with Casey and shed a couple of tears into my coffee. She simply reminded me that not every decision has to be the right one. What matters is that the overarching parenting principles that I believe in are playing out during the day. Also, there are chances for do-overs! If I mess up one time earlier in the day, I don't have to repeat the same mistake for consistency's sake. I can correct it. This is so simple, but it is such a challenge to believe in the moment. A mistake doesn't make me a failure. Neither does a temper tantrum.

Authenticity matters. Yes, Sophia is a fantastic child, and I am incredibly lucky. (She actually tells me that!) But parenting is still difficult because it matters so damn much. (pardon my emphasis) For those of you without small children, I apologize for the rant, but the truth applies everywhere. A mistake doesn't mean failure. Just do what you know is right and stick with it.

7 comments:

  1. Well said. I respect and appreciate the authenticity on both sides. You are usually so uneasily ruffled, that it actually helps ME to hear your struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. parenting, it is not easy and it constantly changes. you are feeling what i have felt and still feel as i learn to adjust to being a mom of a young woman. wish i could tell you it gets easier, and it does--for seasons-- then it gets hard again. you're a good mom--love and discipline are a delicate balance, but both are entwined. you're a good mom and sophia is a lucky little girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so needed to hear that today. I'm glad to read that someone else has some of the same struggles. I'm glad you didn't see the struggle I had with Will yesterday trying to clip his big toe. It wasn't pretty, and I'm not talking about his toe! Just when I think I'm doing a good job, he throws me a zinger and I call for a do-over. Aren't we glad we are allowed a few of those? Love you and your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! I really do appreciate the encouragement, and I'm glad to give others a reason to feel normal. :) Plus, this one would have been a bit of an awkward silence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it sista. I have wondered too, do they really know when to push our buttons, do they sense weakness? or do are we just much more apt to "blow" when we're most vulnerable, tired etc... ah the perverbial chicken or the egg. ;-)
    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart just cries out in agreement with you. You put so well to words what I have felt many times. Thank you for sharing your thoughts - I love hearing the whole spectrum of who you are and what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many times I've wanted to vent out my frustrations in parenting through the blog and have yet to do so. I commend you for your courage and authenticity! It's always helpful to hear that other parents really do have the same struggles. My girls know how to push my buttons as well and sometimes (too many times) I don't respond in a loving way. It's nice to know that each day, each moment even, is different at this age and the chance to right our mistakes and set a better example comes around again and again.

    ReplyDelete