Thursday, October 30, 2008

Feeling Loved

All this talk about love last week, had me thinking over the weekend. Since having Sophia, I have discovered that I feel most loved when I see people loving Sophia.

On Sunday, we went to visit Momo. She is my dad's mother, and we haven't been able to visit since we returned for Popo's funeral. We also got to visit with my Aunt Linda and her lovely husband Russ. We didn't get any good pictures because Sophia was literally a blur, since Momo always has m&m's on hand. During our visit, I had a reprise of a feeling that I've noticed cropping up before. Sophia is lovable and cute and smart, yada, yada. But right off the bat, Linda, Russ and Momo were loving on her so much! The result was that I felt very loved. (Russ loves Linda, who loves me - you get the point) It's a love chain. I couldn't help but feel that because of my relationship with them (faulty and lacking as it may be), they loved me enough to care deeply for my daughter. Anyway, I just really enjoy watching people reflect their love of me onto Sophia, even when she's not performing or chatting or necessarily being lovable.

Of course I notice this in my own interactions with other people's children or friends or whatever. If I care about someone deeply, I care about what they care about (within boundaries, without feeling their feelings). I'm just saying. Take a look around and see who matters to people who matter to you. Get it? Love chain.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for allowing the Switzers to be just a small link in Sophia's love chain. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a gift you give and get when you set aside the imperfections, flaws and guilt to feel that love in the moment. A gift that meets a core need for you and them. I'm so glad you were able. I look forward to having it passed on to my link in your chain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of the things I love most about Momo (and Popo) and their children, they are good at helping us feel loved, just because we are who we are.

    And, it's true, when someone loves on my babies, I feel loved on as well. The opposite is also true, if someone spreads ugliness around my babies, I feel that too. I suppose the correct response is love, but I usually just want to pound that person into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sweet words! It is so delightful when you all are able to "receive", which is sometimes wrongly interpreted, I believe, as "selfish". It is, instead, (again, my belief) the most beautiful response a giver experiences. It is so sad, conversely, when you have love to give, but the person is too...... something... to be able to receive it. I am always blessed by being around such great GIVERS and receivers, as you all are. Linda

    ReplyDelete