Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Busy-ness


Sometimes, we just have those weeks. Erick has fifty places to go, and I have as many things to do in the opposite direction. We're smack dab in the middle of one of those weeks, and it's shaping up to be that kind of a weekend, too.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that we are in the minority of families who don't operate on this level of busyness pretty much all the time. A week with fewer commitments is the exception for most, not the rule. Right now, Sophia doesn't enter the picture with her schedule, so we are able to keep a tight reign on what we do and when. For some reason, the fall seems to be the one time of year that we can never control our level of activity. I haven't figured that out yet, but I'll let you know when I do. I think it's football somehow. So, here we are. I will see Erick for - no joke - maybe 3 hours this week between Monday at 8 a.m. to Friday at 6 p.m. The thing is, except for one night, we'll both be in town! It would almost be easier if he was just out of town the whole week. At least then I'd know what to expect and I would be completely operating on solo.

I had been dreading this week, but we had a wonderful weekend just relaxing together to prepare for it. I'm just saying, I think we will survive. I am very grateful that this is not how we operate. Maybe I'm needy or something. I just miss him - and I miss us - when life becomes this hectic. I can operate just fine by myself, but I choose to do life with him as often as possible.

Sophia won't suffer much as a result of this week. We'll both see her our usual amount; we're just taking turns at it. She's not crazy about so much time where the three of us aren't together either. Every morning, she asks Erick where he's going. When he tells her that he's going to work, she responds with, "That makes me a little sad." Me too. It just makes me grateful for the normal pace of our lives. I look forward to having that back some time.

2 comments:

  1. I realize we don't know each other but we know a lot of the same people because of Woodcrest. I just wanted to say it's heartwarming to read about how much you enjoy the non-busyness of your typical life and the time the 3 of you are together. You have a great family there - have heard that for a long time. Maybe we'll connect at church sometime.

    Debbie Waggoner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being apart is hard even for us guys. Fortunately, Carrie and I have only barely experienced this in our first year of marriage, but seeing each other after being apart has very been nice thus far. I wish you guys happy reunions in between the times you are apart.

    ReplyDelete